Resources – Disorders Treated with IG
SPS is a rare neurological disorder with features of an autoimmune disease that is characterized by fluctuating muscle rigidity in the trunk and limbs and a heightened sensitivity to stimuli such as noise, touch and emotional distress, which can set off muscle spasms. It affects twice as many women as men.
- American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association Inc., www.aarda.org, is the only national organization dedicated to addressing the problem of autoimmunity. 800-598-4668
- Autoimmune Information Network Inc., helps patients and family cope with the disabling effects of autoimmune diseases. 732-664-9259
- National Association for Rare Disorders (NORD), www.rarediseases.org, promotes awareness of rare diseases and the need for research. 800-999-6673
- Living With Stiff Person Syndrome
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS), www.ninds.nih.gov, offers treatment, diagnosis and research information for rare diseases. 800-352-9424
- Stiff Person Syndrome lists person stories of people living with SPS, as well as results of a 33-person study. www.stiffpersonsyndrome.net